If you have a dark room, then you need a TV that has excellent contrast, and a wide color gamut, so you can enjoy the picture quality at its best.
Sadly, getting such TV from a crowd of choices is a very tricky task, as there are a ton of different TV models available in the market.
Thus we have compiled this blog post, in which we have put together a list of the best TVs for a darkroom in 2022 after the complete testing procedure, so you can easily choose the right product for your needs.
That being said, let’s jump right into the matter.
Our Top Pick Tvs for Dark Room
- COGNITIVE PROCESSOR XR
- XR TRILUMINOS PRO
- XR OLED CONTRAST
- GOOGLE TV
- WORKS WITH ALEXA
- PERFECT FOR PLAYSTATION 5
- BRAVIA CORE
- GOOGLE ASSISTANT
- ACOUSTIC SURFACE AUDIO+
- QUANTUM PROCESSOR 4K
- MOTION XCELERATOR TURBO plus
- 100% COLOR VOLUME WITH QUANTUM DOT
- QUANTUM HDR
- ALEXA BUILT-IN
- OLED DISPLAY
- α9 GEN 4 AI PROCESSOR 4K
- GAME OPTIMIZER
- GOOGLE ASSISTANT & ALEXA BUILT IN
- HOME CINEMA EXPERIENCE
Best TVs for Dark Room Comparison Table in 2022 (Tried & Tested)
|TV||Panel Type||Resolution||Refresh Rate||Operating System||Price|
|Sony A80J 65 Inch TV||OLED||4K||120hz||Android TV|
|SAMSUNG 55-Inch Class QLED Q70A Series||QLED||4K||120hz||Tizen OS|
|LG OLED C1 Series 55” Alexa Built-in 4k Smart TV||OLED||4K||120hz||Web OS|
|TCL 43" Class 4-Series 4K UHD HDR Roku Smart TV||LED||4K||60hz||ROKU TV|
|SAMSUNG 43-Inch Class Crystal 4K UHD AU8000 Series TV||LED||4K||60hz||Tizen OS|
- COGNITIVE PROCESSOR XR – Revolutionary TV processing technology that understands how humans see and hear to deliver intense contrast with pure blacks, high peak brightness, and natural colors..Power Requirements (voltage/frequency) : 220 V to 240 V AC 50/60 Hz
- XR TRILUMINOS PRO - Rediscover everything you watch with billions of accurate colors and see impressive picture quality that is natural and beautiful to the human eye.
- XR OLED CONTRAST – Feel the beauty of OLED contrast with pure blacks and lifelike brightness. Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM) for HDMI 3/4
- GOOGLE TV – Browse 700,000+ movies and TV episodes, from across your favorite streaming services, all in one place. Including Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Disney+, YouTube, the Apple TV app, and many more.
- WORKS WITH ALEXA – Through an Alexa enabled device, ask Alexa to change channels, adjust volume, and turn your TV on/off.
The Sony A80J Smart TV with its OLED screen, superior build quality, and fantastic range of features is the best TV for dark rooms available in 2022.
Firstly, the design of the A80J is fantastic. It has a very solid build quality that speaks for the quality of the materials used in this TV.
The screen-to-body ratio on this monitor is solid. With its thin bezels, there is more screen and less bezel, hence you can enjoy immersive content on your screen without any hindrance.
The screen on this TV is breathtaking, it comes with a 4K resolution panel, which provides superior image quality that is sharp, vivid, and lifelike. It is something that you do not witness on the normal backlight TVs.
There are various technologies used in this TV to achieve this stunning picture quality. For example, there is Sony’s exclusive XR TRILUMINOS PRO used in this TV which provides a wide range of colors, so the colors are more lifelike.
Likewise, there is the XR OLED CONTRAST technology used in this TV, which makes this TV have a fantastic OLED contrast with deep blacks and pure whites. Thus, everything you see on this TV is in excellent contrast.
This amazing picture on the Sony A80J is powered by the COGNITIVE PROCESSOR XR, which ensures the picture is fluent on the screen.
Also, this intelligent processor adjusts the brightness, color, and contrast of the picture according to the nature of the content, which ultimately uplifts your video-watching experience.
Moreover, there is the XMOTION technology built into this TV, which optimizes the refresh rate on the TV for more refined video performance without any lag or delay. To be more precise, this TV can produce up to 120 frames per second.
Usually, the sound of the smart TV is pathetic, but it’s not the case here. This TV comes with acoustic sound technology, in which the whole TV acts as a sound system, providing you with complete surround sound.
Apart from hardware, the software on this TV is also amazing. It comes with the Android TV operating system, which is not only functional but also fully customizable. With the Google TV built-in, you will be never short on content. Also, standard video streaming services like Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc are standard.
It comes with a voice remote, which you can use for controlling Alexa, and Google Voice Assistants.
All in all, it’s a great TV for darker rooms, where you need a TV with excellent contrast and a wide range of features.
- QUANTUM PROCESSOR 4K: Elevate your picture to 4K with machine based AI.
- MOTION XCELERATOR TURBO plus: Exceptional motion enhancements up to 4K 120Hz.
- DUAL LED Backlight: Dedicated warm and cool LED backlights provide enhanced contrast.
- 100% COLOR VOLUME WITH QUANTUM DOT: A billion stay-true shades of breathtaking color. QLED televisions can produce 100% Color Volume in the DCI-P3 color space, the format for most cinema screens and HDR movies for television.
- QUANTUM HDR: Go beyond HDTV with an expanded range of color.
- ALEXA BUILT-IN: Ask more from your TV. Just ask Alexa to open apps, change the channel, search for movies and shows, play music, control your smart home devices and more. To talk to Alexa, press and hold the mic button on your remote. If you have hands-free enabled just say, "Alexa" and ask a question.
Second on our list is the Samsung QLED Q70A smart TV, which offers a revolutionary design, superior contrast, and a fantastic screen.
Unlike the regular “A” series Samsung Smart TVs, this TV has a trendy design, which looks futuristic. It comes with a very unconventional stand, that looks aesthetically pleasing. Likewise, the screen-to-body ratio on this TV is also worth admiring.
The QLED Q70A comes with a 4K panel, which provides superior all-around performance with amazingly sharp colors with a lifelike feeling.
With the Quantum Dot technology, there are endless color shades, which uplift your video-watching experience. Similarly, it comes with Dynamic Contrast, which with the help of dual LEDs produces a superior display.
Also, there is quantum HDR, which provides you with cinema-grade colors, and performance on the screen, which looks absolutely phenomenal.
The Motion Xcelerator Turbo+ provides a 120hz refresh rate, which makes this TV an ideal pick for gaming as well as watching high-action sports, where you need a clutter-free display.
Additionally, this TV comes with object-tracking sound technology for an immersive sound experience. So, without spending a hefty amount of money on a new soundbar, you can enjoy superior sound.
The Tizen OS on this Samsung TV is also fantastic, which not only provides ease of use but also is very capable. For instance, it comes with dual-view technology, which allows you to view your favorite content as well as mirror your phone on the TV screen.
Mirroring your phone screen on the TV is also pretty simple, and straightforward. With the tap of a single button, you can easily mirror your TV screen. Also, it comes included with the premium features like Samsung Health and Samsung TV Plus.
There are multiple voice assistants available on this TV. It comes with Alexa, Bixby, and Google Home Assistant compatibility, so you can use the voice assistant of your choice.
- OLED DISPLAY: Watch your content come to life in over 8 million pixels. Each pixel turns on and off independently so you'll see your content with perfect black, over a billion rich colors and infinite contrast for a viewing experience like no other.
- α9 GEN 4 AI PROCESSOR 4K: Picture and sound adjustment happen automatically with our best processor. The a9 Gen4 AI Processor 4K uses deep-learning algorithms to detect scenes and genres to make your content look its best no matter what or when you're watching.
- GAME OPTIMIZER: Game Optimizer gives you easier access to all your game settings, while the latest HDMI allows for fast gaming speeds. Plus, you'll get low input lag and fast response times with Auto Low-Latency Mode and HGiG.
- GOOGLE ASSISTANT & ALEXA BUILT IN: There’s no need for an extra device – just ask your TV for music, weather, news, your Amazon shopping list, and more. Plus, conveniently control your connected home and smart devices.
- HOME CINEMA EXPERIENCE: Get breathtaking picture and audio that makes you feel like you're in the action with Cinema HDR, Dolby Vision IQ & Dolby Atmos. See movies exactly how directors intended with Filmmaker Mode. And with built-in access to Netflix, Prime Video, Apple TV plus, Disney plus and LG channels, your favorite content is at your fingertips.
No smart TV list can be completed without an LG TV, that’s for sure. The LG OLED C1 series TV is a great solution for dark rooms where you need OLED with excellent contrast and excellent sharpness of colors.
The design of the LG C1 TV looks premium from every angle, the bezels are slim, the build quality is fantastic, and the stand is also of premium quality. Also, the overall profile of the TV is super-slim. All in all, it’s a masterpiece in the design segment.
And, design is not the only appealing thing about this smart TV, it has a striking display, and with the usage of an OLED panel, you are never short of colors.
LG has used multiple display technologies in this TV, which makes it one of the most popular smart TV choices on the planet.
It comes with an OLED display, which can boost 4K resolution. The picture on the screen has phenomenal depth, and amazing contrast, as every pixel on the screen lights up on its own. Thus, the blacks are super dark, and the whites are brighter than ever before.
This display can generate up to 8M colors on the screen, which is an absolutely amazing feature.
Also, it comes with the α9 GEN 4 AI PROCESSOR 4K, which matches the content on your display screen according to the context, so everything you see on the screen is well-matched according to the scene.
Moreover, this powerful processor also aids in providing superior video quality without any lag or delay on the screen.
It comes with various different modes, like the Filmmaker mode, which provides you with cinema-quality graphics on the screen. Other than that, it also has the Game Optimizer mode, which is perfect for gamers who want to enjoy fluent gaming performance without any delay.
Similarly, there is the OLED Motion mode, which is specifically designed for gamers. This mode optimizes the content so that there is no blurring on the screen, and you can enjoy your content without any blur or lag.
It comes with the Web OS, which is one of the best smart TV operating systems available in the market for its ease of use. Moreover, there is LG’s signature Magic Remote, which allows you to fully control your smart TV.
Lastly, there are two different voice assistants including the Google Home Assistant and the Alexa available on this TV for easy control through your voice.
- Stunning 4K UHD picture performance with high dynamic range (HDR) technology offers exceptional clarity and detail.
- Enjoy the over 500,000 movies and TV episodes available to stream plus sports, news, music, kids and family, food, science and tech, fitness, foreign language and so much more.
- Connect all your favorite devices through the four HDMI inputs that includes 1 eARC to easily sync audio and video sources and deliver better quality sound.
- Get fast and easy access to your favorite content with the dual-band Wi-Fi connection or plug into the Ethernet port.
- A black finish and quad pedestal stand lend style and sophistication to your home theater.
The TCL 4-series 4K smart ROKU TV is the perfect choice for people who are seeking a budget 4K smart TV for their darkroom without breaking the bank. In fact, it’s the only non-OLED TV that made it into our list.
Despite the fact, this TV has been in the market for a while now, and there are upgraded TCL models available in the market right now for a very similar price, still, the price value factor on this TV and the amazing performance makes it an ideal pick, even in 2022.
Firstly, the design of this TV does not look cheap at all, if you debrand this TV, you can’ tell this it’s a Chinese brand TV. Also, the bezels on the screen are very fine, ultimately uplifting your TV-watching experience.
The 4K LCD screen on this TV is fantastic, it provides excellent colors on the screen with reasonable brightness, and excellent contrast. Also, it comes with an amazing refresh rate.
Surprisingly, the HDR is also there. So, the picture quality on this smart TV is fantastic. It has amazing brightness, and excellent contrast, and offers cinema-like colors with its built-in HDR feature.
Since this TV comes with the ROKU functionality, there is no shortage of content on this TV, as it comes with 500,000+ TV streaming channels. Also, the user interface of the TV is superb with excellent navigation.
We also like the remote that comes with this TV, and additionally, there is the powerful ROKU mobile application that can be used for controlling the TV.
Alexa is also standard on this TV, which allows you to use your voice for controlling the TV. So, you can control the TV without using your hands.
All in all, the TCL 4 series smart TV is a great option for people seeking a quality budget TV under 500 for their darkroom.
- HANDPICKED BY AMAZON: They did the research so you don’t have to.
- CRYSTAL PROCESSOR 4K: See every detail with stunning clarity; The powerful processor, specifically tuned for Crystal Displays, converts what you're watching to 4K
- BUILT-IN VOICE ASSISTANTS: Access a world of content beyond streaming; Schedule recordings, search, auto-adjust gaming settings, seamlessly connect with a host of compatible devices, and control your smart TV with your voice, all with one remote
- HDR: Enjoy a whole new world of vivid color and detail found in newer films and streaming service content with HDR, also known as High Dynamic Range
- MOTION XCELERATOR: With minimized blur and enhanced motion clarity, Motion Xcelerator catches all the fast-moving action, whether you're watching sports or taking advantage of new gaming capabilities
- SLEEK and SLIM DESIGN: The ultra thin, AirSlim profile lets your television blend in effortlessly
Last not least, the Samsung AU8000 smart TV is another outstanding pick for people seeking a quality TV for their poorly lit room.
Just like the other “AU” TV, this TV has a very aesthetic design, with premium-grade materials, and superior build quality. Also, the bezels are very slim, providing you with an immersive video-watching experience.
Likewise, the stand of the TV is also very functional, with height adjustment, and a cable cluttering system.
Most importantly, this smart TV has a very amazing display screen. With the 4K display screen on this TV, which has excellent contrast, and amazing sharpness, the colors look real.
Since this TV uses Crystal Color Technology, the colors are very close to real and offer a wide range of shades. Plus, there is the CRYSTAL PROCESSOR 4K used in this TV, which allows you to enjoy a lag-free picture that is customized according to the content.
The Motion Xcelerator technology is also on-board, which is perfect for making the picture fluent on the screen without any lag or blur. This feature comes in very handy while playing games or watching high-action sports.
This TV is powered by the Tizen OS, which is present on almost all Samsung smart TVs and offers superior performance. There are three different voice assistants available on this TV including Alexa, Bixby, and Google Voice Assistant for the added convenience of hands-free operation.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Do We Need a Special TV for a Dark Room?
Well, you do not need a special TV for the darkroom. However, an ideal TV should have mediocre brightness and superior contrast. In our opinion, you should get an OLED TV for dark rooms, as it contains both of these features.
Are OLED TVs Good for Dark Room?
Yes, the OLED TVs are perfect for dark rooms, as the picture quality on these TVs is phenomenal. Also, the OLED TVs have superior contrast, which makes them an ideal pick for darker rooms.
Does TV Brightness Matter in a Dark Room?
Yes, the brightness matters a lot when you are getting a TV for the darkroom, as getting a too-bright TV will obviously hurt your eyes. You should get a TV that offers mediocre brightness, and excellent contrast.
How to Choose the Right TV for a Dark Room (Buying Guide)
In case you are buying a TV for a dark room, there are numerous things that you need to have in your mind before making the final purchase decision.
With this complete step-by-step buying guide, you can easily get the TV that fits your needs.
Just like every other purchase, you need to have a complete budget in your mind. If you have a budget in your mind, it becomes much easier to choose the right product according to your needs.
Thus, firstly you need to align a budget in your mind and then act accordingly.
The most important thing here while choosing your next TV for dark scenes is the type of panel. We highly recommend getting an OLED panel for darker rooms as compared to the LED or any other type of panel.
The performance of the OLED panels in darker conditions is just phenomenal and provides superior performance.
Contrast ratio can make or break your viewing experience in dark rooms. Thus, you should always get a TV with higher contrast rations if you are getting it to be viewed in a dark environment.
Despite the fact, it does not matter much, still, you need to have a TV with decent brightness as you do not want a TV that has way too dim light. So, make sure the TV that you are getting has adequate brightness.
Smart TV Platform
Last not least, you should also pay attention to the smart TV platform you are choosing with the brand of the TV, as it can have a huge impact on the user-experience.
Getting the right TV for your darkroom can be very confusing, especially in the modern era, when the market shelves are loaded with a ton of choices.
Thus, we have compiled this complete list of the best 4k TVs for dark rooms available in the market, so that you can easily choose the right TV for your needs.
If you are still confused about choosing the best TV for a dark room, then we would recommend you to get the Sony A80J OLED Smart TV, as it has an amazing design, superior contrast, a wide color gamut, and comes with the Android TV. You surely won’t regret your decision.